|My cousin's friend Chantal Gordon-Benoit made semlor after he forwarded her zingertales !|
Here is the wondrous sensation of Swedish delight!
75 gram or 3/4 stick butter (or margarine for vegan)
2.5 dl or a bit less than 1 (.85) cup milk
2.5 dl or about 1 cup sugar
25 gram fresh or 3.5 tblspn dry yeast
7.5 or 3 cup white flour
300 gram or maybe 2? cup Mandelmassa (almond paste, or I think Marzipan would work too)
3 dl or 1 1/4 cup whipped cream.
Gör så här: Do the following:
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add in the milk and warm to “fingervarmt”, or around body temperature.
2. Dissolve the yeast in ab0ut 1/4 c water. Mix until the thick mixture is homogeneous, let sit for 10 min.
3. Add the rest of the dough ingredients: the salt sugar, cardamom and the majority of the flour. Save a little bit of the flour for forming the buns. Knead the dough until it is smooth and shiny, about 10-15 min. Place the dough back in the bowl and let rise for 40 min in warm, dry, place.
4. Take out the dough onto a flat surface. Form the buns by rolling circular shapes with your hands. They should be around 1.5 inches in diameter, but you can make them however you want.
5. Place the buns on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Let them rise for 30 minutes more. Heat the oven to 430 F (225 C)
6. If you want to, you can brush the buns with an eggwash or with soymilk. Set in the oven and bake for 10 min or so until done.
7. After then buns have baked and cooled for around 5 min, cut the top off each bun, about 1/4 inch down the bun. Pull out a bit of the warm bread-flesh from inside the bun. Add the extracted bread-flesh to a bowl with the (chopped or otherwise shredded) mandelmassa and stir them together.
8. Add the mandelmassa mixture to the empty spot in each bun. A top each mandelmassa, add a dollop of whipped cream. Set the tops back on each bun, and sprinkle them with powdered sugar, like snow.
Last bits of Odds and Ends ~ Here is Charlotte’s quick fix for the Semlor -- “One time I bought cardemumbuns and put in almond paste that I made looser with milk, + mixed in a little of the bread that was taken out . Only a small piece. You can mix in some sugar if you want. And whipped the cream to a normal constitution. Don't forget the florsugar/powered sugar on top.”
Also, if you are a New Yorkian Zingertaler, here is a link where you can find Semlor, right here in the city...Fika NYC, http://www.fikanyc.com/ they stock them only in late January! OOODles of thanks goes to fellow zingertaler, Sarah, at tresjolie9!
THANK YOU, CHANTEL and Thank You Dr. Rossi!